Wednesday, November 07, 2007

What an Amazing Day!

Wow! I had a great first day experience at the hospital. Everyone there was so nice and helpful. The surgeon was explaining thing as she was doing them and ways I could be more helpful when the surgeon gets into a difficult area. The surgeon's assistant was very helpful too telling me what they were going to do next and what instruments and suture I would need. My preceptor was a very nice Lady that helped me along but let me do everything that I was able to handle. We did a breast reduction so that is a fairly uncomplicated procedure and a great one to learn on. It was however a long surgery. I went along for the whole thing except about 30-45 mins of it that my preceptor and I went to lunch. I was very nervous at first but after things got on the way I started to calm down and able to see when the surgeon needed something and started to get the hang of the whole procedure. I believe that I did pretty well for my first day. No sterile fields were broken and no one yelled at me. I will however pay attention to lids that have staples on them and check them before I throw them away because there might be a needle in the lid too. All in all it was a great day and I cant wait until next week to do it all over again.

4 comments:

bryanbgood said...

Very cool Jen! That is just awesome! I'm so glad you are getting to do something that you really love and enjoy. You will even get paid for it soon! Woohoo!!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Jen! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Jen,

Great Job, we are very proud of you to follow your dreams. Brain Surgury Next???

Amie Wilson said...

Way to go Jen, Keep up the good work!