Monday, November 26, 2007

A new kind of election

So around 4 this morning my cat woke me up and I couldn't fall back asleep. During my futile attempts to return to the land of Nod a great idea drifted into my head. Or at least I think its a good idea, I still haven't completely thought it out yet so bear with me.

So one of the big problems that we have with government right now is the politicians; I won't go into the all specifics of what is wrong with politicans, but many of them are unqualified for the job. With all the controversey surrounding elections and canidates how do we decide who is the best person for the position? Canidates bash each other and the media picks each person apart over the smallest detail. Politicans will say anything to get elected and will generally not hesitate to change their mind once they are elected. How do we stop this? How can we make sure that they person we vote for is the right person?
Well the answer that popped into my head in the wee hours of the morning was a test. Thats right one of the requirements for running for a elected position would be for each canidate to take a test. Everyone running for election, whether it be for the local mayor or the President would take a test that would give us a clearer image of what they are really capable of. The test would not be asking what the capital of Rhode Island is, but more focus on questions of morality, ethics, leadership, economics, finance, international relations, problem solving, the ability to reason, etc. The test would not necessarily be a conventional test on paper, but possibly a collection of events. Emphasis on essay and teamworking exercises. The test it self would help determine if the person has integrity, honesty, strong leadership qualities and knowledge of the world, current events and all the other qualities that are desired in a good leader. Too make people happy each person could take the test twice, because some people need a safety net. After the test the results would be posted for voters to see. Their score on the test would not effect if they would get elected or not, for instance if Hillary scored a 58 and Obama got a 85 they both could still run for office. The test would just giv the people a clearer understanding of what their canidates are really all about.

Any way it came to me this morning and it sounds like a good idea right now, though not a fully developed one. Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who would adminster the test and be in charge of keeping the scores? If I can run the test, the highest bidder can buy me off, oh wait maybe that's already happening.

I do like the idea though, but there are alway logistics. Keep thinking and get some rest.

TheLaw said...

The test could be a standardized test similar to the SATs or ACTs. There for the takers and graders would be anonymous and hopefully that would eliminate the bribery problem.