Sunday, January 27, 2008

I made it!

I might be smiling on the outside in this picture, but I was crying on the inside. I was just happy that it was all over and I didn't have to run any more. My leg muscles felt like useless pieces of rubber that had been tied into impossibly complex knots, my feet felt like they had been beaten by a mallet wielded by a sadist, I was drained of energy. Yet my spirits where high and that is what got me through my first 'ultra'; Leon's Fat Ass Recover from the Holidays 50k. The race started at the grand old hour of 7 am via headlamp and I stumbled across the 'finish' at around 3; about 8 hours total. Not too bad for running 30 miles through the snow, if I do say so myself.... Of course I couldn't have done it without all the support and words of encouragement from my friends and family. Especially Jennifer, Bryan, Amie, Della and Kulgogi; who came out braving the elements to cheer me on. I would also like to thank Mother Nature for making a sweet course. Now that I am done and my body is one giant ache I will probably take some time off of running; or any physical activity for that matter. So what should my next race be, know any good ones?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAY to go Ben!!! Good job, glad you made it =)

Anonymous said...

Ben,

I have heard of a 100K that starts in Durango, goes to Silverton, then to Telluride, then to Lake City and ends up at the Valley View Hot Springs North of Alamosa.

It sounds kinda wimpy, but now that you are warmed up, why not.

Anyway, congratulations on a great accomplishment, my crystal ball shows many, many ahead of you.

Get a massage!!!