Thursday, September 21, 2006

The squirrels are coming!

Killer squirrels are on the loose! Right here in Boise rabid squirrels are molesting innocent pedestrians. Today I was walking home on the greenbelt like I normally do on Fridays when suddenly from the trees next to the river a vicious squirrel came bounding out of the brush. It was quite a large squirrel that had probably grown large by scavenging from picnickers though out the years.
The squirrel came out of the trees and started running at me in a straight line, apparently running right at me. At first I paid little attention to the bushy tailed rodent, but after I noticed that it was not turning away from me and in fact our two paths would converge, I became a little worried. The squirrel beady little eyes where fixed on me and I could tell something was wrong, because this was far from normal squirrel behavior. In the space of a few seconds the squirrel had closed the distance between the trees and me. As it neared me I stopped to see what it would do. It ran right up to me and jumped at my leg.
It was at this point that I realized that I was being attacked by a squirrel and the irony and stupidity of the situation flashed before my mind. I thought “I am being attacked by a frickin squirrel, WTF!” As the squirrel leaped into the air, my body jumped into action. The squirrel was coming at my left leg, so my right foot flew forwards and connected with the squirrel in mid-flight, kicking it like a soccer ball. The squirrel flew several feet and landed in the grass next to the greenbelt. The squirrel landed dazed and wobbled around on shaky legs for a couple seconds and then sat down in the grass. I started walking again keeping an eye on the squirrel. As I walked past the squirrel, giving it a wide berth, the squirrel started to follow me! So I started towards it quickly, in case it wanted to dance again. Once the squirrel saw my aggressive tact it ran off for good. The rest of my walk home when ever I saw a squirrel I tensed up and kept a wary eye on the potential attacker.
I was very surprised at what had taken place and even more surprised at my quick reaction to the unwarranted squirrel aggression. An outside observer would have probably thought that I was attacked by squirrels all the time by my reaction. Truly just a surprised as the squirrel probably was.
What provoked the squirrel? I have not idea as to why the squirrel flew out of the trees at me (later my cousin Bryan asked me if I was messing with its nutz). One theory was it was the first really cold day and the change in barometric pressure had messed with its walnut sized mind. Later that day I noticed more acting strangely by running in front of cars to dropping walnuts on my car and chittering wildly. Or maybe the squirrel was just crazy and had rabies or a bad case of west nile. I don’t know what had caused this change in squirrel behavior, but I do know that I kicked that squirrel’s ass!

6 comments:

bryanbgood said...

It was the damn West Nile!!!

Anonymous said...

Ben,
That is a hilarious story! Let me know if you come across anymore killer squirrels.

Anonymous said...

Ben,
Well, you always did have a certain animal magnitism, maybe the squirrel just wanted to get to know you on a deeper level!

TheLaw said...

what can I say, the squirrels just love me, or maybe they hate me....hmmm

Jody said...

A similar situation occured one spring day when I was home visiting Boise a couple years ago. I was wearing open-toed kitten heels downtown on 8th street when a cute little squirrel chirped nearby and seemed to be transfixed by my toenails, which were painted magenta. I thought it was so cute- the bold little guy- as he scooted closer and closer to my exposed foot. I thought perhaps he thought my toe was a piece of discarded candy, which made me realize that I needed to retract my foot rather than offer it for much longer. I chickened out and distanced myself from the friendly squirrel. Who knows what he would have done with my toe(s)?

TheLaw said...

Maybe it is just these crazy Boise squirrels, they are a bit nutz!